Wednesday, January 31, 2007


lavender cupcakes

why?
To use the lavender I bought from the States of course! It was so exciting to see lavender sold at the herbs section in the supermarket in the midst of all the other usual suspects like thyme, basil etc. I wished lavender was as common in the States as it was in Singapore!

Success:
I had to store my lavender with sugar days in advance to use the sugar to make the cupcakes. The recipe only requires lavender sugar and it is optional to use the actual herbs for decorations. So honestly, if I wanted to 'milk' the lavender, I would just keep making lavender sugar! A marvelous investment. The fragrance from the herbs infused into the sugar so easily and I insisted that visitors to my kitchen must not leave without getting a whiff of the subtle aroma. The taste of lavender in cupcakes really draws you away from the thought of eating the sinful cupcakes and convince you that you've entered into an aromatherapy and health nut zone.

Failure:
I got too excited with mixing in my icing colour. So instead of a pale lilac for my frosting, I ended up with a Barney looking colour! Hahaa... Ok, ALOT less colouring in future.

1 comment:

blinkingredlight said...

looks delicious! wish i could've been there to try. you can also put the vanilla pods in sugar you know..v yummy!:)