Wednesday, March 28, 2007


mushroom soup with country rolls

Why?
A few weeks back, there was this Border's 40% discount voucher circulating and I managed to convince LR that it would be such a waste not to use it to extend the library in my kitchen :) I decided that if I do want to master the art of baking bread, I need a book JUST devoted to bread making and nothing else.
Of course, soups are the perfect complement to bread. I decided to try making mushroom soup(Jamie Oliver's book - Dinners).

Success:
Sigh... not much :( But it's a pretty picture eh?

Failure:
The soup was too oily. The problem is when I cook from Jamie's book, sometimes the ingredients measurements are too vague for my liking. Exactly what is a good knob of butter? So anyway, my version of 'a good knob of butter' resulted in the soup being too oily, I was also overly generous with the lemon juice to 'kick up the flavour' as quoted from the book. My soup ended up sour and oily. Miles from what a mushroom soup should be. I also couldn't puree my mushroom soup as my food processer 'died' on me :(

The country rolls were a tragedy too... hard and totally inedible. I discovered it was because my yeast 'died'. I came to that conclusion from a side experiment I performed. I took a little of yeast from the same bottle that I used and added tepid water and sugar. If the yeast was alive, it would bubble and look sponge-y. But it didn't!! I checked the expiry date, and there was still about a year left. Not trusting this brand anymore.... Also am totally dejected on bread making.

No comments: