Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Angelhair pasta with Seafood in Prawn bisque

Why?
I had the most delicious Crayfish pasta at Miss Clarity Cafe, that greatly inspired me to whip up a similiar dish in my own kitchen. There was this distinct sweetness from the broth that the pasta was soaked in that really got me all excited. I just had to experiment as to whether the sweetness came from the prawn bisque or the cream or both!

Success:
I didn't use Crayfish, and bought huge scallops, prawns and fish fillet instead. I also opted to use Angelhair pasta, as it would be perfect to 'soak' up the flavours from the broth . I will include the receipe, since it's my very own and there would be absolutely no 'plagarism' here :) But I have to clarify, that I cook absolutely by instincts when I don't have a receipe. So you have to bear with me, if I just simply state - to taste!

Ingredients:
Garlic - 5 cloves
Onion - 1 medium
Bacon -2 streaks
Scallops
Prawns with shells on
Fish fillet
fresh tomotoes -2
canned whole tomatoes - 1 can
tomato paste - to taste
double cream - to taste
salt, pepper and sugar - to taste

Prepare some prawn bisque by de-shelling the prawns(including head) and boil in some water till reduced to this bright orange colour that usually at the same time fills my entire house with prawn vapour.

Fry the thinly sliced garlic, onion and bacon till fragrant. Add in the tomatoes(canned, paste and fresh) and prawn bisque to boil. Simmer for about 1/2hr and then add in the seafood with all the seasoning to taste with the double cream.

Only stir in the pasta when you are absolutely sure you're going to eat it within the next 5 min, or you would end up with mee sua pasta :)

Simply divine.........

Failure:
I tried this receipe twice. The first time, I added some herbs(basil) and it did snatch away the sweetness of the pasta. Maybe I'm a purist in my flavour. The 2nd time when I tried, I held back the herbs, and in my opinion, it was a more focused and distinct flavour of sweetness from the seafood...

No comments: