Thursday, November 02, 2006




lemon sponge cake

Success:
It was light and fluffy. Buttermilk in cakes is a MUST! The recipe yielded 2 cakes and I couldn't help but think about how huge Sara Lee's profits are! My ingredients costs are barely $5 for 2 cakes, but of course I am once again reminded by LR that my labour is not cheap (so sweet). But honestly, I wouldn't call it labour at all, more like a hobby or love for it :)

Failure:
I should reduce the sugar significantly and I would definitely whip in more lemon zest and juice. Perhaps I should even do a variety of citrus fruits ( orange, lemon.. can't think of any at this moment) I also wonder if I did put lemon slices at the bottom of the cake tin and bake would that be too wet? I'm always trying to improve on my presentation and progress from this home-made look where I can get away with anything ugly.

Reflections:
Interestingly enough, yesterday I was watching an episode of Jamie and there was this whole issue of simplicity and sometimes we complicate our cooking too much. Hopefully this principle of simplicity does not just translate into my cooking but with my life too that I can be simple and contented in Christ.

" I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low and I know how to abound" Phillipians 4

No comments: