Thursday, November 02, 2006



AM cake - banana chocolate cake

Success:
It was the day that I decided to take a step of faith - baking a birthday cake. Birthdays are funny, some people want to forget it others want to celebrate it. So baking a birthday cake for 2 friends and bringing the cake to a posh restaurant (in a plate and with a cake box that doesn't fit!), could be potentially setting myself up for a A LOT of trouble. But if you never step out of the boat, you would never know if you could walk on water. So what was the verdict from the 2 birthday babies? They loved it! They ate the left-overs 2 days later and SMSed me to tell me that it's as yummy. So sweet... think I scored! (one of them was watching soccer) My take? It was so moist and the freshness of the bananas(I decided against cooking them) with the chocolate was an absolute perfect match. I was totally clueless about how the cake would look, but I really just went 'bananas' with my sliced bananas.

Failure:
I was too eager to slap on the whip cream to sandwhich the cakes with bananas that I forgot to let the cake cool down significantly first. It was a rescue operation in the lab as the cream started to melt and pour down from the sides like rain. Panicking I began to soak up the cream with kitchen towels ( with LR's mom looking on with a very worried expression). Thank God I managed to stop the meltdown and it really was a blessing in disguised, as without the whip cream the cake was light and even after a hearty Italian dinner, everyone at the table finished their slice of the cake :) Hope it wasn't to be polite but that it was really worth putting on more calories.

1 comment:

blinkingredlight said...

looks SO yummy!!!!! :) *hint hint*