Monday, October 09, 2006


rice cooker bread

Sometime ago, LR and myself were hooked on watching this Japanese Anime about bread and this was a recipe incorporated into the show. We told ourselves that we would try it and we finally did after LR mustered enough energy to download the episode, copy the recipe and got his hands dirty!

Success:
I love it! Maybe it's because LR made it, I could be biased but there was really this subtle sweet butter and milk taste that was really quite addictive. I ate a huge slice with cheddar chesse. YUM! Good Job LR! And the best part... he's going to make it again.

Failure:
LR started making the bread at 9pm and after weighing all the flour, butter etc, he discovered that he would need about 4-6 hours for the bread to be ready for consumption. He went ahead anyway, I think in the process of the 'experiment' he got too excited with the yeast and added too much water with it. The dough became quite sticky and we had to add quite a lot of flour. But really, it was the closest to a baby's bum I've ever encountered in my laboratory. Finally after much proving and waiting we put the dough into the rice cooker. It was almost 12midnight and I was too sleepy so I decided to go home.

The next morning, LR confessed he went to bed too! Haha... so he continued cooking the bread only this morning. We took out the bread, it looked burnt! And LR forbade me to take any pictures. However, after we both took a slice (see success) I sensed that there would be no issues with displaying LR's first experiment on the blog. The next time, LR vowed to start making the bread much earlier and put in a lot less water :) I'm so proud of him!


1 comment:

rache said...

this is so cute! baking bread in a rice cooker?? gimme the recipe!! :p