Sunday, January 20, 2008

O0ooooreo cheesecake
why?

I had another priviledge to bake a birthday cake!! I initially was going to bake a strawberry cheesecake, but the strawberries at the supermarket looked yellow and withered. I guess I would probably bake one when the season comes around!

success?

WOW! I mean I would definitely boast that THIS IS THE BEST cake I have ever made! Firstly, it looked so gorgeous, I learnt the technique of 'dripping' the chocolate on the surface of the cake from Nigella's FEAST and the mini oreos by the side added a touch of cuteness to the oh-so-sophisticated cake! Secondly, the texture of the cheesecake was soooo smooth and the bits of oreo cookies not just from the crust but the middle of the cake gave such a crunch to each bite. My only concern was that the cake would turn out too sweet, but the marriage of the oreos and cream cheese was perfect. I was really impressed at the taste and texture! Haha... I told LR, after we left the restaurant that I was supressing my immense excitment and joy the whole night. I wanted so badly to shamelessly boast but I guess I would have to settle for shamelessly declaring the wonders of this cake here!

Oreo Cheesecake

Ingredients

200g oreo cookies, with centre cream removed and crushed
100g unsalted butter, melted
55g soft brown sugar
910g cream cheese, softened at room temperature
250g white sugar
80ml whipping cream
15g plain flour
1 tsp of vanilla essence
4 eggs
160g oreo cookies, crushed with the centres

400ml sour cream
100ml whipping cream
50g white sugar
1 tsp of vanilla essence

100ml whipping cream
200g dark chocolate
1 tsp vanilla essence
mini oreo cookies for decorations

Directions

1. Combine 200g of oreo cookies, melted butter and brown sugar. Press firmly the mixture onto the bottom of a 10-inch spring form pan. Bake in a preheated oven for 5 min at 175 degrees.
2.Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Gradually mix in 250g of sugar, 80ml of whipping cream, flour and 1 tsp of vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
3.Pour half of the mixture on into the pan with cookie base, then gently sprinkle the 160g of oreos and carefully spoon on the top the remaining mixture.
4.Bake at 175 degrees for 45 min at the centre rack and at the bottom of the oven, place a roasting tray with water.
5.Mix the sour cream, whipping cream, sugar and vanilla essence. Remove the cake after 45min and carefully spread this mixture on the top and bake for a further 7 min.
6.Turn off the oven and allow the cake to 'rest' in the oven for 1 hour.
7.Combine the whipping cream and chocolate on low heat to melt then stir in the vanilla essence.
Using a spoon, spread the chocolate mixture in a horizontal direction then vertically to form a pattern as the picture above.
8.Decorate the cake with the mini oreos.
9.Refrigerate at least 8 hours before serving.

failure?

This cake failed in the affordable department! The cost of all the ingredients came up to just over $40 and I spent 4 hours making this cake. Gosh, if I ever had to sell this cake commercially, it is going to cost ALOT.

No comments: