Saturday, January 26, 2008

hakka pig trotters
why?

My grandma cooked it every year for Chinese New Year, and then my mom took over the reigns to produce this so yummy dish and now that my mom is with the Lord, I have either the option of missing and hoping or I attempt to re-produce the dish!

success?

YUMMY!!!!!!! Of course as the saying goes, nothing beats mom's cooking, but I think my mom would be proud of me! The taste of sourness with sweet pork flavour is like the combination of bak kwa with kecap manis and drinking a cup of lemon juice! Haha... I tried to explain the taste but truly, if you are a huge fan of the confinement pig trotters dish, you would love this!

Ingredients

2 kg of pig trotters chopped into pieces (get the butcher to do this)
1 kg of white radish, peeled and chopped into big pieces (see the picture)
5 hard boiled eggs, deshelled
20 dried chillies, soaked for 1hr and drained
10 cloves of garlic, minced
3tbs of chinese cooking wine
5 tbs of light soya sauce
5 tbs of dark soya sauce
200g gula melaka
1 big bottle of white rice vinegar (add depending on ur preference of sourness)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Blanch the pig trotters in boiling water for 5 min
2. Dish up and rinse well
3. Heat up 1 tbs of cooking oil
4. Saute the garlic and dried chillies till fragrant
5. Add the pig trotters and fry till slightly brown
6. Add the light and dark soya sauce and wine and fry
7. Add in 2litres of water and bring to a boil
8. Add the gula melaka to dissolve
9. Pour in 300ml of white vinegar and add seasoning
10. Add in the radish and stir
11. Simmer for 1 hour
12. Put in the hard boil eggs and let the dish cool completely over the stove
13. Refrigerate for at least 2 days but make sure that all the radish, trotters and eggs are submerged in the sauce
14. When ready to eat, bring to boil and add more seasoning or vinegar till desired taste. I actually use up an entire bottle!

failure?
Mommy, you are not here to give me your comments :)

No comments: