Thursday, July 02, 2009

oven baked pulled pork!

served with homemade coleslaw !
why?

LR and myself love the taste of pork! Also, the times we go to Blooies or Hard Rock Cafe, we would order the Pig Sandwhich, which essentially is pulled pork. I've always put off attempting to cook pulled pork because I don't have a slow cooker, but then one day I chanced open a recipe online that suggested that cooking whatever dish in an oven at a low temperature very similar or almost the same as cooking using a slow cooker! So I was pretty excited and of course it's time to experiment some pulled pork! I also made coleslaw even though am not a huge fan of this salad but it does go well with pulled pork. So i searched through my cookbooks and decided to improvise on Jamie's version :)

failure?

Too flavourful! I think I should have not been too generous with the BBQ sauce, it did steal the thunder of the natural taste of the pork.

success?

The pork was so tender even after only 3 hours in the oven when most recipes called for at least 6 hours and 8 to be perfected! The coleslaw was really refreshing with the addition of fruits and a splash of apple cider, unlike the usual ones I eat that are drowned in mayo. LR really loves the pulled pork but personally I would tweak the recipe more, therefore will just include the recipe for the coleslaw only.

Coleslaw (serves 8)

INGREDIENTS

1/2 red cabbage
2 red apples
1 china pear
3 carrots
2 tbs of apple cider
5 tbs of mayo

METHOD:
  1. Thinly slice the cabbage, carrots, apples and pear
  2. Mix the apple cider and mayo
  3. Incorporate the above sauce with the sliced vegetables and fruits
  4. Refridgerate till ready to serve

No comments: