Tuesday, September 11, 2007


Lamingtons
why?
I lived and love Australia. For four years while pursuing my degree, I called Brisbane home. The selection of bread and quality must claim responsibility for the extra weight I piled on. There's this particular chain of bakery that I would go to for my daily stash and would be easily tempted to grab some Lamingtons and Apple turnovers for "snacks". I had some left over coconut from making onde onde and flipping through one of my cookbooks, I was elated to find a recipe for Lamingtons and decided the deed must be done!

success?
Too good! the recipe was for Mocha Lamingtons, but I am not a fan of coffee, so I made some adjustments.

Adapted from Bake it by Murdoch Books
Ingredients

125g unsalted butter, chopped and softened
230g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
250g self-raising flour
250ml milk
2 tsp cocoa powdered, dissolved in 2 tsp boiling water


icing:
350g of good quality dark chocolated, melted with some chocolate milk
150g of freshly grated coconut and steamed with pandan leaves and a tsp of salt


Preheat the oven to 180 degrees cel. Lightly grease the base of a 23cm square tin and lin the base with baking paper.
Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk until combined and smooth. Mix in the cocoa mixture.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until skwer inserted into the centre f the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Cut into 25 squares.

Using 2 spoons to hold the cake, dip the cake squares into the melted chocolate to cover. Roll the cake in the coconut to cover and place on a wire rack.

failure?
Made too few :)

No comments: